"Off The Ground"
The Farming Life Centre at Blackwell in partnership with Dove Valley Centre at Sheen, proposes to develop “Off the Ground,” a new project the aims of which are:
1. To encourage the development of more sustainable lifestyles and a reduction in the carbon footprint of residents of the Peak District through the gathering, processing and distribution of unharvested orchard fruit which would otherwise go to waste.
2. To promote knowledge and understanding amongst Peak District landowners and communities of the biodiversity of orchards and their value in the local landscape.
We would like to create a network of people who each Autumn would spend time gathering, processing and distributing fruit and fruit products which would otherwise go to waste.
Our objectives would be to get together people of all ages to:
· Find out and share information about the locations of unmaintained fruit trees whose fruit currently goes to waste
· Gather (including legitimate scrumping!) and sort the fruit
· Share skills, knowledge and experience in processing fruit into jams, jellies, chutneys and preserves– and then have “making” days to use up the spare produce
If you would be interested in getting involved in this project please get in touch with the FLC on 01298 85162 for more information.