Live Well and Stay Safe

Reporting rural crime matters

What is rural crime?

Rural Crime continues to plague residents of the Peak District National Park and despite the financial and disruptive impact it has on businesses – not to mention the emotional distress – many incidents go unreported.

Rural crime is a very broad category which covers any environmental, agricultural, equine or heritage offence. It can include illegal waste dumping and fly tipping, theft of equipment or fuel, damage to or theft of property and livestock, trespass, livestock worrying and anti-social behaviour.

Our rural community

The impact rural crime can have on its victims is often extensive. Factors including remoteness of properties, few opportunities for social contact and support services feeling out of reach can leave people feeling extremely vulnerable.

Support for victims

At The Farming Life Centre we have lots of groups which can help improve your social connectedness. Please give us a call for more information about joining any of our activities. If you are worried about rural crime or have been a victim we can help provide links to the local support available.

For victim help and support contact Derbyshire CORE visit or telephone
0800 612 6505

Information from you leads to arrests, charges and convictions

Without information from the public many investigations into rural crime would not have enough substance to progress.

Increasing the reporting of incidents will help achieve arrests, charges and convictions – the results that both the police and the public want to see.

Crime prevention

Here are some simple things you can do to increase security on your farm, making it harder for thieves to get access to your land, livestock and equipment.

  • Consider installing a CCTV system
  • Invest in good lighting for your yard
  • Restrict access by locking yard gates
  • Photograph valuable livestock and machinery
  • Remove vehicles from fields overnight
  • Avoid leaving keys in machinery
  • Consider investing in tracking devices

How to report a crime

If you need to report a crime please contact your local police on 999 in an emergency or 101 in a non-emergency situation.

You can give information about any type of rural crime 100% anonymously by calling the Rural Crime Hotline on 0800 783 0137 or visiting

You can also give information about rural crime by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.